Thursday, January 25, 2007

Pencils and Armored Vehicles

(written 1/24)

Today is our last day before classes begin. As it turns out, we can't just enjoy the scenery all semester - time to do a little work.

Three roommates and I ventured out to find school supplies today. As we got closer to the Parliament building, the numbers of policemen on the streets increased. Some areas were taped off - we were confused, but kept on our way.
...More police, now with shields; several armored buses. We continue on.
Awhile later when we were roaming, we heard booming voices coming from the main road, so we curiously went back to check it out. There were swarms of Greek student protestors. We couldn't read their signs and banners, so I asked a friendly officer nearby what was happening. All I understood was something about Public/Private Universities and a change that is happening soon. I remember hearing that in Greece, private institutions are not recognized. Anyway, the dense crowd of students went on for blocks - further than I could see. We stared in amazement, but were warned to keep back.

And then I bought notebooks.

Really, though, it made me think about American students. Tuition rises, and we stand by and let it happen. I was intrigued and inspired by this massive, unified group. At home we don't even demand our lunch money back (Gustavus students know what I mean). I mentioned this thought to a fellow CYA student, who seemed to think U.S. students weren't as apathetic as I imagine. She goes to USC - perhaps a different story.

And then I walked to the Acropolis.

No comments: