Thursday, January 25, 2007

Prepare for Departure...

(written on 1/23)

Motion sickness happens. I was just hoping it wouldn't happen before I got on the plane. On a bumpy "Super Shuttle" ride to the JFK airport in New York, I was hoping I would make it at least until the driver dropped me off at the curb. We approached terminal 7, where he would leave me, and I suddenly felt emotional - I was really leaving for Greece. The tears fell, and my lunch came up. It wasn't how I'd hoped my trip would start. I guess I'm just glad I left the country, where Super Shuttle can't find me for the clean-up fee.

Despite the rough start, my flights from NYC-Madrid and Madrid-Athens went smoothly. Dramamine prevented any further motion sickness and helped me sleep. Any anxieties I had about the trip melted away as the plane flew over Greece - the topography is spectacular! I was relieved when we touched down; the traveling part was over. I was greeted by a College Year in Athens staff member, who directed me to a cab that would take me to my apartment.
The apartment is small, but big enough to fit me and 4 other students. My roommates are very nice, and our first outing together was to a nearby restaurant. We ate tsatziki and fresh fish in an oil-dill sauce for appetizers. We stopped on our way home for a bottle of red wine. Unfortunately, it tasted as cheap as it cost. Sipping it on our balcony with my roommates was enjoyable, though.

Today has been spent getting class materials, checking in, etc. I'm hoping to do some exploring in a bit, but haven't quite figured out the bus system. It would help if I could read signs. I'm currently on the third floor of the CYA Academic Center, which has a perfect view of the Parthenon. Am I dreaming?

No comments: