Saturday, January 27, 2007

FOOD

I have been here less than a week, but I already have several new favorite foods.

Tzatziki - can't begin a meal without it!

Chocolate Croissants - there are bakeries everywhere you look, and the pastries/bread are delicious and inexpensive. On Thursday morning, I asked a woman what I should eat for breakfast, and she insisted on the chocolate croissant. I didn't put up a fight. I might look like a pastry when I come home.

Gyros - I already have a favorite place. It's a short walk from our apartment, and has a great outdoor patio. They taste out-of-this-world, especially with a bottle of Mythos, the Greek-brewed beer.

Burgers - they don't come with buns here, but either zuchini or dill are mixed in with the meat... topped off with some lemon juice, they make my taste buds very happy.

More later... I might have to make "favorite foods" a running column as I discover new treats.

Grocery shopping is quite the experience when you don't have a clue what the labels say. I shop by pictures, which isn't always reliable. I did manage to get milk (cow picture), but others have not been so lucky, ending up with condensed milk or yogurt. My roommate bought a container with a picture of corn on the label, but - surprise! - chocolate pudding.

2 comments:

Aaron and Deana said...

Hi,
Just thought you should know Aaron and I make a mean batch of Tzatziki. We used to eat at a great little Greek place in Idaho. We ate there so many times we started making our own versions of their food. We really miss the Greek food now that we are back in ND! Aaron says don't forget to keep us up to date on the food!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Ali,

Thanks for the glimpes into your culinary adventures! I am looking forward to partaking in your Tzatziki-making-skills upon your return.
Love the blog....keep it coming.