Sunday, February 11, 2007

Weekend

Thursday was the first day of "Carnivale". The best way I can describe it is a two-week long Fat Tuesday. The whole city is decorated in a marti gras-like fashion. In the next week, there will be several parades and celebrations before the start of Lent. I will be doing my Carnivale celebration on the island of Crete next weekend, so I opted to stay in Athens this weekend.

On Thursday, I ate taverna-style with a group of 8 other students. Greeks dine in large groups and share several plates of food, so that's exactly what we did. Traditionally, they eat meat on the first day of Carnivale... We did that, too.

I took a long walk up Lykavitos Hillon Friday afternoon. From the top you can see all of Athens, and the view is breathtaking. I took it all in with a cup of coffee at a cafe there. The picture below is of Lykavitos as seen from the city. As you can see, it is quite a climb to the top, but well worth it!


Later on Friday I hopped on the Metro with a friend and we got off at a stop near Piraeus, a large port out of Greece. We found a restaurant next to the water and, of course, had seafood.



On Saturday morning I visited a Byzantine Art and Architecture museum. Strangely enough, they had an exhibit of work by contemporary Spanish artist Salvador Dali. We spent quite a bit of time looking at his work, but the Byzantine art was great, too.


Close by the Byzantine museum is a Cycladic art museum. (The Greek islands are referred to as the Cyclades.) I will post pictures from there in a couple days.


Today I visited the Orthodox Church at the end of my street for their early service. It's quite different than the Lutheran services I'm accustomed to, but similar to Catholic mass (I think). I will return later in the semester, after I've learned more about their practices in my Orthodox class.


This afternoon I went to yet another museum - the Benaki Museum of Islamic Art. I won't bore anyone with the details, but it might be my favorite museum so far.


The weather is rainy and gloomy, but I feel fortunate - I'll take rain over snow, and I heard that North Dakota and Minnesota have been pretty cold lately :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ali,

Just want to say "hi"! I guess we are going to get 16-17" of snow this weekend. So, yeah. The weather is still better in Athens.

Love you. Mel

Angela said...

Ha! there is a great lunch place here called Port of Paerius. I feel smarter. Tell us more!!

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.